Dialysis Shunt Lawsuit in Prince George’s County
(filed January 14, 2016)
- DaVita Healthcare Companions, Inc.
Abstract of Plaintiff’s Allegations
A girl is a longtime dialysis affected person because of her misplaced kidney perform. She presents to DaVita Healthcare Companions, Inc., a well being care supplier specializing in kidney care.
A graft (a small tube connecting an artery to a vein) is positioned on the girl’s higher proper arm to carry out dialysis. The girl continues going to DaVita to obtain her dialysis therapy for about eight years. Throughout this time, there isn’t a documentation of an analysis of the girl’s graft and at no time is the girl despatched to an interventional radiologist.
At some point the girl presents to DaVita for her routine dialysis, which happens about each different day. Because of blood move issues, the girl is distributed to an interventional radiologist. In performing an angioplasty, the interventional radiologist finds stenosis within the lady’s graft. The interventional radiologist by no means communicates the seriousness of the graft’s situation to anybody liable for the girl’s care and by no means refers the girl to a surgeon.
The subsequent day the girl studies for her traditional dialysis therapy. Her graft is cannulated (a skinny tube inserted right into a vein to supply venous entry) by a affected person care technician, however not one of the physicians had written an order permitting cannulation. Two days later, the girl bleeds to loss of life as a result of erosion of her shunt (a passage permitting fluid to maneuver from one a part of the physique to a different).
The girl’s son, a resident of Maryland, filed a wrongful loss of life medical malpractice lawsuit in Prince George’s County. He claims that DaVita violated the usual of care by (1) failing to observe the girl’s graft situation, (2) failing to appropriately report and doc the graft situation, (3) failing to well timed ship lady to an interventional radiologist upon graft deterioration, and (4) failing to cease dialysis by means of the eroded graft. The girl’s son claims that had DaVita met the usual of care, his mom’s graft would have been appropriately handled, and she or he wouldn’t have died.
- Failed to observe graft situation
- Did not appropriately report and doc the graft situation
- Did not well timed ship the girl to an interventional radiologist upon graft deterioration
- Did not cease dialysis by means of the eroded graft
Plaintiff’s Specialists and Areas of Specialty
- Mark Edelman, M.D. – board licensed in radiology and interventional radiology with scientific expertise within the area of interventional radiology. Dr. Edelman has Maryland connections. He was born in Cumberland, Maryland and did a fellowship at Johns Hopkins. He practices in Illinois.
- Stuart Friedman, M.D. – board licensed in inside drugs and nephrology and with scientific expertise within the area of nephrology. He’s based mostly in Los Angeles at Cedars-Sinai Medical Middle.
- Sharon E. Barber, RN, CNN – registered nurse who can be a licensed nephrology nurse and has scientific expertise within the area of dialysis
- Two docs and a nurse signed the certificates of advantage which is uncommon. Additionally filed with the Criticism was the shopper’s signature on a “warning” concerning the shopper’s potential civil legal responsibility for the submitting of the declare which can be fairly odd. The regulation agency that filed the case is in Arlington, Virginia.
- This appears to be a failure to speak case. You don’t want to cannulate (insert a needle and a catheter into) a weak shunt. The nephrologist knew the shunt had been compromised, the Plaintiff alleges, however didn’t talk this to the affected person care technician who cannulated her graft. She bled to loss of life in consequence.
- Usually these circumstances are about failure to observe for bleeding. The usual of care is to verify on the shunt continuously to determine that no extra bleeding is going on.
Getting a Lawyer on your Malpractice Declare
In case you have been a sufferer of malpractice, our medical negligence attorneys deal with severe harm and wrongful loss of life circumstances. Name us right this moment at 800-553-8082 or get a free, no obligation on-line case overview.
Extra Malpractice Declare Data
- A 2017 lawsuit in Baltimore in opposition to a dialysis heart that allegedly didn’t cap and clamp the port when transferring the affected person to a different machine.
- A 2016 dialysis lawsuit in opposition to Johns Hopkins that got here up brief
- What’s the worth of a medical negligence declare in Maryland?
- Data on medical malpractice claims within the Baltimore-Washington space
- CALL our attorneys right this moment at 800-553-8082 or get a free on-line medical analysis of your malpractice harm and wrongful loss of life claims. We deal with claims all through Maryland and Washington D.C. We can assist you discover out whether or not you may have a viable declare that will deliver you compensation for the hurt that has been performed.