Most Vital Persistent Problems of Arteriovenous Fistulas for Hemodialysis – FullText – Medical Rules and Follow 2013, Vol. 22, No. 3
The purpose of this evaluate was to spotlight crucial issues of arteriovenous fistulas (AVFs) for hemodialysis (HD). The standard of vascular entry for HD ought to be appropriate for repeated puncture and permit a excessive blood circulate price for high-efficiency dialysis with minimal issues. The dialysis employees should be effectively versed in manipulation of the AVF, and there ought to be a minimal want for corrective interventions. Building of an AVF creates circumstances for rising the circulate of blood by the venous system. Achievement of those circumstances reduces the danger of turbulence and endothelium harm, which, in flip, minimizes the potential for stenosis. An AVF is closest to the best mannequin of vascular entry. An important issues of fistulae for HD are lymphedema, an infection, aneurysm, stenosis, congestive coronary heart failure, steal syndrome, ischemic neuropathy and thrombosis. In HD sufferers, the most typical reason for vascular entry failure is neointimal hyperplasia. You will need to achieve details about early scientific signs of AVF dysfunction as a way to stop and adequately deal with potential issues.
© 2012 S. Karger AG, Basel
A shift within the remedy of hemodialysis (HD) sufferers occurred when James E. Cimino famous that arteriovenous fistulas (AVFs) brought on by trauma in Korean battle veterans didn’t have important results on their well being. This led to his proposal that AVFs could be a great answer for simple entry to the circulation in sufferers on HD [1,2,3].
For the reason that Facilities for Medicare & Medicaid Companies acknowledged the scientific and financial benefits of AVFs, the Nationwide Kidney Basis’s Kidney Illness Outcomes High quality Initiative (KDOQI) and the Fistula First Initiative have made rising the prevalence of AVFs a precedence . A number of research point out that about 30% of hospitalizations are brought on by the development and issues of vascular entry . The annual price of sustaining vascular entry is round USD 600 for AVFs as much as as a lot as USD 5,000 for arteriovenous grafts (AVGs). Excessive prices of implementation and upkeep of vascular entry could come up from occasional diagnostic procedures, which additional improve the annual prices of USD 1,020 for AVFs and USD 1,610 for AVGs, which signify 14-20% of complete well being care prices for dialysis sufferers [4,5,6,7,8]. However, well timed formation of AVFs diminished the mortality price by 1.72 occasions .
The standard of vascular entry for HD ought to be appropriate for repeated puncture and permit a quick blood circulate price for high-efficiency dialysis with minimal issues. Subsequently, a long-term functioning AVF wants a well-trained surgeon to create it and sufficient time allowed for maturation. The dialysis employees should be effectively versed in cannulation of the AVF, and there ought to be a minimal want for corrective interventions. But it should be acknowledged that, beneath the current circumstances, a great strategy actually doesn’t exist [9,10].
European good scientific observe pointers for vascular entry recommend preservation of the venous system and that every one sufferers who’re dedicated to HD remedy have already got a longtime vascular entry in the beginning of dialysis. Early referral of sufferers to a nephrologist is just not solely essential to protect the blood vessels, but additionally has psychological significance within the preparation for dialysis remedy, permits identification of doable choices for dialysis modalities and allows correction of the anemic syndrome, hypertension and metabolic issues. Endurance, belief and compromise between medical doctors, sufferers and the dialysis employees ought to result in profitable placement of vascular entry [11,12,13,14,15]. Most pointers suggest evaluation of sufferers for entry creation on the CKD 4 stage. A fistula ought to be positioned no less than 6 months earlier than the anticipated begin of HD remedies .
Is There a Contraindication to the Creation of Vascular Entry?
When AVFs have been launched into routine scientific observe, solely individuals youthful than 40 years with persistent renal failure as a consequence of diabetes mellitus have been thought-about unsuitable for any type of remedy. Nonetheless, these days, along with the aged and diabetics, sufferers affected by congestive coronary heart failure are thought-about to be danger teams for the creation of vascular entry. Absolute contraindications to this are amputation of extremities and superior peripheral artery illness with consecutive necrosis. Nonetheless, the ultimate resolution on the standard of the vasculature is made after a noninvasive coloration Doppler ultrasound examination .
Problems throughout and Instantly after Surgical Intervention
The selection of operative approach for anastomosis has its personal traits and it’s a crucial process as a way to keep away from sure surgical issues. Finish-to-end anastomosis requires a formidable surgical approach, particularly when there’s a discrepancy between the lumen of the arteries and veins. This will result in ischemia of the distal extremities, particularly within the aged and sufferers with diabetes mellitus. Aspect-to-side anastomosis is technically simpler and will be performed if the blood vessels are shut to one another. It should be famous that this kind of anastomosis could result in improvement of venous hypertension. At the moment, essentially the most acceptable choice is end-to-side anastomosis [3,8,11].
AVF building creates circumstances for rising the circulate of blood by the venous system. Earlier than surgical procedure, systemic venous stress is about 20 mm Hg, however instantly afterwards it will increase to between 60 and 120 mm Hg. Subsequently, when making the anastomosis, it is very important keep away from the potential for creating obstacles to blood circulate. One shouldn’t make an acute angle, longitudinally rotate the veins, or change their anatomical place. Achievement of those circumstances reduces the danger of turbulence and endothelium harm, which, in flip, minimizes the potential for stenosis. Surgical issues will be outlined as issues in the course of the intervention as a result of discrepancies between the lumen diameters of the arteries and veins, narrowing of the anastomosis, broken intima media, or interposition of adventitia and the remaining collateral .
It’s noteworthy that the routine software of antibiotics is just not acceptable. It’s also necessary to notice that there is no such thing as a consensus on indications for the formulaic software of anticoagulant remedy as a result of surgical errors can’t be corrected by pharmacotherapy . Instantly after surgical procedure, hemorrhage, low venous circulate or hematoma could happen. At a later stage, there could also be issues, equivalent to infections, the event of an aneurysm and/or false aneurysm, fistula vein stenosis, congestive coronary heart failure, steal syndrome, ischemic neuropathy and thrombosis (desk 1).
Creation and upkeep of vascular entry can’t exclude the incidence of lymphedema.
An infection accounts for 20% of all AVF issues , which is ten occasions decrease than the speed of an infection of AVGs [18,19]. Most AVF infections contain perivascular cellulitis, which manifests as localized erythema and edema and is normally simply handled. Far more severe is an an infection related to anatomical abnormalities, equivalent to aneurysms, hematomas or abscesses, which require surgical excision and drainage .
Totally different scientific and microbiological traits could point out AVF an infection. Medical suspicion arises after seen indicators of irritation on the vascular entry puncture website (calor, dolor and rubor) with or with out systemic manifestations. Localized infections occurring after AVF puncture are handled with acceptable antibiotics based mostly on the outcomes of swab and blood cultures. AVF infections are very uncommon and most often reply effectively to antibiotic remedy, lasting 4-6 weeks. A ligature of the AVF is required solely when it turns into a supply of recurrent septic pulmonary embolism [17,19].
Aneurysmal Enlargement of Blood Vessel Partitions
An aneurysm is a pathological enlargement of the blood vessel wall ensuing from repetitive puncture . False aneurysms are hematomas positioned outdoors the vessel wall, fashioned as a result of a leaking gap within the artery, most frequently as a result of iatrogenic trauma – primarily repeated needle punctures . Shade Doppler ultrasound can differentiate false-aneurysm growth from a hematoma, the presence of a thrombotic mass, which allows a choice to be made on doable surgical correction. Surgical intervention is really useful when there’s a danger of perforation and ulceration if there are components of bleeding or if there’s a restricted place for puncture due to the dimensions of the aneurysm .
Thrombosis is an important reason for lack of operate of an AVF. It normally happens close to a stenosis within the space of anastomosis or fistula vein. Uremic components equivalent to homocysteine or endogenous inhibitors of NO synthase (uneven dimethylarginine) could possibly be straight poisonous to the vascular endothelium . In sufferers with end-stage renal illness, along with the impaired vasodilatation of capacitance vessels as a result of endothelial dysfunction, diminished venous distensibility happens . Vein wall distensibility is managed by collagen, elastin and easy muscle. Wali et al. [24 ]demonstrated accumulation of collagen fibers rather than easy muscle cells in preaccess cephalic veins, inflicting a lower within the elasticity of the vein wall. This course of reduces the useful properties of forearm blood vessels, and thus interferes with the correct maturation of the AVF. The danger of thrombosis will increase with the diploma of stenosis. KDOQI pointers outline important stenosis of the vessel lumen as a discount by greater than 50%. Medical suspicion of stenosis is confirmed by the presence of a number of components: diminished high quality of dialysis, issues with puncture, equivalent to extended bleeding after AVF puncture, ache within the space of the fistula or elevated venous stress. Recirculation is a vital situation because it seems to be a major reason for insufficient HD. The commonest trigger is the presence of high-grade venous stenosis, which hinder venous outflow, resulting in backflow into the arterial needle. Recirculation is identified when dialyzed blood returning by the venous aspect reenters the dialyzer by the arterial needle somewhat than returning to the systemic circulation, and in consequence, the effectivity of HD is diminished . It should be identified that stenosis could also be as a result of extraluminal compression by an abscess, hematoma or seroma. The height systolic velocity in Doppler ultrasound is used to find out the existence of stenosis. Values higher than 400 cm/s point out the presence of stenosis; a month-to-month decline in circulate by 20-25% can also be thought-about important for this kind of complication. Angiography is a dependable approach for figuring out stenosis however is dearer and technically demanding. Remedy entails balloon dilatation of the stenosis, stent implantation or surgical revision [12,20]. Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty (PTA) within the remedy of vascular entry stenosis improves fistula operate and prolongs fistula survival in sufferers with shorter lesions (<1 cm), however restenosis stays the most important downside. Though percutaneous interventions are much less invasive than surgical revision for preserving vascular entry, long-lasting PTA outcomes haven't been demonstrated to be helpful. Concerted efforts of nephrologists, interventional radiologists and surgeons are key to sustaining and prolonging operate of the vascular entry [12,25,26,27].
Impression of AVFs in Coronary heart Failure
Some authors consider that cardiac decompensation in sufferers with AVFs happens solely in people with beforehand persistent coronary heart illness. Preliminary knowledge present a development in the direction of left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH) in sufferers with an AVF  circulate exceeding 2,000 ml, however there aren’t any pointers about doable interventions within the AVF to forestall the incidence of coronary heart failure . Cardiovascular issues are the main reason for demise in sufferers on HD, and LVH is the most typical cardiac change in sufferers with end-stage renal failure, which is noticed in 74% of sufferers in the beginning of HD remedy, in all probability on account of adaptation to the hemodynamic adjustments after shunt creation [30,31]. Improvement and development of LVH in HD sufferers is advanced and sometimes multifactorial; pathogenetic components embody quantity overload, creation of an AVF, anemia and stress overload. LVH is an adaptive response to elevated cardiac workload that has short-term helpful results on cardiac operate however long-term detrimental penalties [31,32].
The mechanisms of hemodynamic compensation in HD sufferers are very advanced and contain, amongst different issues, diminished vascular resistance and arterial dilatation on account of elevated blood circulate and the formation of collaterals. Though AVFs have a detrimental impact on cardiac operate, the precise function of the vascular entry is just not sufficiently clear. It’s assumed that the development of an AVF will increase cardiac output by 15% and end-diastolic ventricular stress by 4% .
There aren’t any important research that might point out the incidence of LVH after AVF creation. Particular person leads to small cohorts of sufferers point out that the speed of LVH is between 12.2 and 17% [33,34]. In a state of affairs when coronary heart failure is just not etiologically clear sufficient, stimulation of natriuretic peptide synthesis by the AVF will increase intravascular quantity, which can be a predictive parameter of mortality in these sufferers. Earlier research confirmed that plasma ranges of B-type natriuretic peptide (as a marker of quantity overload/left ventricle distension) elevated in LVH after creation of an AVF  and within the short-term . Sadly, there is no such thing as a legitimate proof that closing fistulas reduces cardiovascular danger as a result of this could require numerous respondents. Accessible knowledge recommend that after ligation of the AVF, adjustments within the architectonics of the left ventricle don’t present the anticipated helpful impact .
Vascular Entry-Induced Ischemia
A developed AVF may cause diminished blood circulate distal to the arteriovenous anastomosis, which ends up in hypoxia, ischemia and necrosis. The danger of ischemia and the emergence of this syndrome, recognized within the literature because the steal syndrome, are particularly excessive in diabetics and aged individuals. Medical indicators embody diminished motion of the wrist with a way of coldness within the hand and a coloration change to pale yellow, or purple, ache at relaxation and through train and peripheral necrosis . Low resistance within the system of fistula veins and retrograde circulate within the space of the palmar arch jeopardize satisfactory perfusion of the fingers. There’s proof that the steal syndrome in danger teams could happen in 75-90% of sufferers after creation of an AVF. This phenomenon stays clinically asymptomatic till the second when compensatory mechanisms for perfusion by peripheral arteries are exhausted .
Usually, an AVF doesn’t compromise perfusion of the hand . Nonetheless, 1.6-8% of sufferers develop unilateral ischemia of the hand . On the whole, for the incidence of ischemia within the hand with a fistula, sure circumstances are required: primarily, diminished blood circulate by the arterial system as a result of arterial occlusive illness proximal or distal from the arteriovenous anastomosis. The steal syndrome could come up from extreme blood circulate by a dilated blood vessel along with inadequate vascular adaptation and diminished collateral perfusion. This ischemia is usually gentle, however extreme long-term hypoperfusion results in tissue necrosis requiring amputation of fingers and/or forearm in 1% of sufferers . Pathophysiological mechanisms of vascular access-induced distal ischemia are advanced and never well-known. Signs of arterial blood diversion are extra widespread in sufferers with diabetes mellitus and people who smoke [41,42]. Vascular access-induced hand ischemia is a standard scientific symptom, maybe 1 in 500 instances, almost definitely because of the wealthy collateral vascular community and small muscle mass. Knowledge within the literature recommend that symptomatic ischemia develops in 10-25% of sufferers with brachiocephalic and brachiobasilic vascular entry, 4-6% on the degree of the forearm and 1-2% on the radiocephalic degree . Because of the rising age of sufferers on HD in addition to a rising variety of comorbidities, the incidence of hand ischemia is considerably rising. It’s assumed that sooner or later, the frequency of those ischemias will rise as a result of popularization of vascular entry within the proximal area of the elbow, in addition to the rising variety of aged individuals on HD . Remedy of this situation is tough and the danger of amputation of fingers and the forearm is nice. Subsequently, consideration should be targeted on prevention, which incorporates satisfactory preoperative evaluation, use of Doppler ultrasound, and a exact surgical approach that entails arteriotomy no higher than 7 mm in addition to being throughout the vary of a 90-180° angle of anastomosis. Failure to make use of these exact surgical methods could result in elevated resistance and diminished blood circulate [40,43]. To this point, there are 5 recognized therapeutic choices for the remedy of distal arm ischemia brought on by vascular entry. One necessary operational approach is named distal revascularization interval ligation (DRIL), a process launched in 1983 as a remedy choice for distal ischemia brought on by vascular entry. The essence of this operation is stopping retrograde diastolic influx into the fistula because the pathophysiologic precept of the steal syndrome . Nonetheless, the strategic software of a remedy relies on the severity of signs, comorbidities and the talent of the surgical staff. In milder instances, we monitor the event of signs, and a radical strategy is just not required. Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty with doable stent implantation within the case of a stenotic lesion is carried out as part of diagnostic arteriography and could also be a therapeutic choice for a 3rd of instances [40,45].
Ischemic neuropathy is most typical in diabetic sufferers with extreme types of peripheral arterial illness, particularly when the brachial artery is used for creation of vascular entry. It’s manifested by weak arms, within the instant preoperative interval, extreme ache, and paresthesia. Neurological examination exhibits weak point in distal muscle teams within the space of sensory innervation by a faulty median nerve . The frequency of such issues varies between 1 and 10%. The syndrome develops rapidly (sometimes inside hours) of AVF creation [46,47].
The primary function of the endothelium in hemostasis is its antithrombotic operate. A traditional hemostatic response is initiated by harm to blood vessel partitions, exposing the subendothelial buildings to blood circulate, ensuing within the formation of a thrombus . Fibrinogen and fibrin D dimer are unbiased danger components for thrombosis of vascular entry in sufferers on HD and are related to intra- and extravascular activation of the coagulation system [49,50].
Most research paradoxically point out disturbances of platelet adhesion, thus explaining the tendency to elevated bleeding. Thus, a query arises concerning the circumstances resulting in frequent coagulation on the vascular entry. It’s believed that HD platelets are activated by adhesion to the extracellular circulatory system and the turbulence in blood circulate generated by the vascular entry. Fibrinogen, which has an elevated focus in sufferers on persistent HD , prompts platelets and will increase additional platelet deposition. Adherent platelets launch platelet-derived development issue to provoke intimal hyperplasia, thereby lowering blood circulate. This creates circumstances for the deposition of activated and inactivated platelets, which, regardless of a bent to bleeding, favors thrombosis of the vascular entry . Important research point out that clopidrogel diminished the frequency of early thrombosis of latest AVFs, and didn’t improve bleeding occasions throughout a 6-week administration interval. Upkeep of patency is important for fistula maturation, which implies that prevention of early thrombosis could be related to the next price of fistula maturation. A helpful impact of clopidogrel on fistula patency however not on suitability is necessary to the evolving understanding of the pathophysiology of fistula maturation and failure, and means that early patency is important however not ample for fistula maturation. The discrepancy between the results of clopidogrel on fistula patency and fistula suitability signifies that thrombosis could also be a manifestation somewhat than a reason for maturation failure .
An necessary reason for issues in HD sufferers is an elevated thrombotic tendency, inflicting many fatalities involving ischemic coronary heart illness or stroke, however in 17-25% of instances the explanation for hospitalization is AVF thrombosis [52,53]. The commonest reason for vascular entry thrombosis is venous neointimal proliferation. This causes vascular stenosis, resulting in fistula thrombosis . Neointimal hyperplasia is characterised by the proliferation of easy muscle cells beneath the affect of fundamental fibroblast- and platelet-derived development components. The sleek muscle cell layer penetrates by the inner elastic lamina, migrates into the intima, and secretes matrix proliferous substances, equivalent to collagen, elastin and proteoglycans. Throughout migration of easy muscle cells into the intima, they’re reworked from a contractile right into a secretory kind that produces a fundamental substance inflicting intimal fibrosis . Parallel scientific research have been carried out on the correlation of dysfunction of vascular entry for HD and coronary artery stenosis as a result of it’s assumed that the vascular entry for HD is a perfect mannequin for figuring out the therapeutic protocol for vascular stenosis .
The vascular endothelial cell is a dynamic medium positioned between the wall and lumen of vessels. Its core features are upkeep of vascular tone and blood circulate, prevention of vascular irritation and proliferation of easy muscle cells, in addition to fibrinolytic, anti-inflammatory, anticoagulant and antiplatelet features .
Nonetheless, the altered hemodynamic circumstances ensuing from arteriovenous anastomosis induce mechanisms of vascular transforming, contributing to the emergence and improvement of endothelial dysfunction. This, along with elevated oxidative stress, is a vital promoter of inflammatory processes. Endothelial vasodilator exercise (nitric oxide, prostacyclin and bradykinin) is considerably diminished, whereas the synthesis of highly effective vasoconstrictors (endothelin, angiotensin II and free oxygen radicals) is elevated. Restenosis is without doubt one of the necessary pathophysiological occasions within the endothelium of blood vessels; it might happen after percutaneous transluminal strategies of angioplasty. One other necessary course of that results in renarrowing of blood vessels is neointimal hyperplasia with proliferation of easy muscle cells and endothelial cells [57,58].
The kinetics of the proliferation response, which was demonstrated in animal fashions, indicated an necessary function for sure glycoproteins (vβ3 integrins) as a stimulus for platelet-derived development issue, proliferation of easy muscle cells , pro-inflammatory brokers (MCP-1, PAI-1, ET-1) , interleukin-1  and early adjustments in venous wall contractility . However, latest analysis in people indicated that about 90% is dominated by proliferation and neovascularization of the subendothelial layer, with macrophage infiltration of monocyto-intimal endothelial cells .
Within the first 7 days after implantation of vein grafts in animals, there’s degeneration and lack of cell wall storage with simultaneous infiltration of mononuclear cells within the adventitia. Later, mononuclear cells infiltrate the adventitia and the blood vessel partitions. Thickening of the venous wall begins within the first week. At 16 weeks, the thickness of the venous wall has elevated by 18 occasions, considerably lowering the lumen of the vein. It’s assumed that mechanical stress has a decisive function within the elevated gene expression of adhesion molecules, development components, cytokines and matrix proteins that set off the irritation course of, along with the emergence and subsequent proliferation of neointimal atheromatosis lesions. It’s believed that mechanical stress on the vein wall is a robust impetus for the transformation and proliferation of easy muscle cells, resulting in diminished circulate and termination of AVF operate .
New Methods within the Remedy of Vascular Entry Dysfunction
Endovascular interventional methods (desk 2) [65,66,67,68,69] proved to achieve success in treating stenotic lesions throughout the entry utilizing PTA to deal with focal stenoses and coil embolization and ligation to remove competing department veins [69,70,71,72,73,74,75,76]. Nassar et al.  used balloon angioplasty of focal stenoses and coil embolization of accent veins to salvage 83% of nonmaturing fistulas however concluded that 16.8% of the fistulas have been unsalvageable as a result of full occlusion of the outflow tract or the venous outflow tract being prohibitively deep, tortuous, or strictured. Turmel-Rodrigues et al. [77 ]not too long ago facilitated maturation in 96% of sufferers with failing Brescia-Cimino fistulas, who underwent long-segment arterial angioplasty of the radial artery to 4 mm in diameter to assist the circulate charges obligatory to advertise maturation.
With a view to stop consecutive hemodynamic adjustments manifesting as decreased blood circulate by the AVF, elevated venous stress and extended bleeding after HD, early identification of neointimal hyperplasia is essential. There are particular limiting components, which have an effect on remedy, equivalent to the shortcoming to attain efficient native concentrations of particular antiproliferative brokers with out inflicting systemic toxicity. It’s believed that radiation can inhibit easy muscle cell proliferation of endothelial cells and macrophages on account of DNA harm. Newly fashioned blood vessels are notably delicate to the results of radiation. Intracoronary gamma radiation of restenosis confirmed optimistic findings in 42% of instances. Related outcomes have been obtained after software of beta radiation. Inhibition of intimal endothelial hyperplasia by gene switch was achieved in an experimental mannequin involving induction of nitric oxide synthase, inhibitors of cyclin-dependent kinases and retinoblastoma protein. Using such remedy in human medication remains to be in its infancy. Stents coated with an antiproliferative agent signify essentially the most important advance within the remedy of venous neointimal hyperplasia. The outcomes of a European multicenter examine point out virtually full absence of stenosis in sufferers with coronary angioplasty utilizing sacrolimus-treated stents, however whether or not or not using such stents will probably be an efficient methodology within the regulation of vascular entry dysfunction is just not but recognized .
Protocols and procedures of therapeutic technique encompass suppression of circumstances that may result in proliferation of easy muscle cells, which is very necessary for sufferers with heart problems. Methotrexate, paclitaxel  and sirolimus  can have a major impact on the event of venous neointimal proliferation. The outcomes of some research point out that hypercholesterolemia and hyperglycemia improve the danger of emergence of intimal hyperplasia. There are preliminary optimistic outcomes in regards to the software of infrared radiation for inhibition of intimal hyperplasia .
A useful AVF is a significant determinant of profitable HD; nonetheless, AVFs could also be a danger issue for hospitalization in dialysis sufferers. Information concerning the potential issues of AVFs ought to contribute to their well timed detection and permit measures to be taken that may stop deleterious penalties that vary from lack of vascular entry to severe morbidity, and will finally be deadly. Subsequently, AVF care ought to be a precedence not just for sufferers but additionally for your complete skilled staff concerned within the remedy of dialysis sufferers.
This work was supported by the Ministry of Training and Science of Serbia, Grants III41010, and by the Medical College of Pristina/Ok.Mitrovica, Serbia, junior challenge quantity 07/09.
- Quinton WE, Dillard DH, Scribner BH: Cannulation of blood vessels for extended hemodialysis. Trans Am Soc Artif Intern Organs 1960;6:104-113.
- Konner Ok: Historical past of vascular entry for haemodialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2005;20:2629-2635.
- Allon M: Present administration of vascular entry. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2007;2:786-800.
- Schon D, Blume WS, Niebauer Ok, Hollenbeak CS, de Lissovoy G: Rising using arteriovenous fistula in hemodialysis: financial advantages and financial obstacles. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2007;2:268-276.
- Metcalfe W, Khan IH, Prescott GJ, Simpson Ok, Macleod AM, on behalf of the Scottish Renal Registry: hospitalization within the first yr of renal alternative remedy for end-stage renal illness. QJM 2003;96:899-909.
- Ortega T, Ortega F, Diaz-Corte C, Rebollo P, Ma Baltar J, Alvarez-Grande J: The well timed building of arteriovenous fistulae: a key to lowering morbidity and mortality and to enhancing price administration. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2005;20:598-603.
- Manns B, Tonelli M, Yilmaz S, Lee H, Laupland Ok, Klarenbach S, Radkevich V, Murphy B: Institution and upkeep of vascular entry in incident hemodialysis sufferers: a potential price evaluation. J Am Soc Nephrol 2005;16:201-209.
- Scribner BH. Medical dilemmas: the previous is new. Nat Med 2002;8:1066-1067.
- Allon M, Robbin M: Rising arteriovenous fistulas in hemodialysis sufferers: issues and options. Kidney Int 2002;62:1109-1124.
- Ethier J, Mendelssohn DC, Elder SJ, Hasegawa T, Akizawa T, Akiba T, Canaud BJ, Pisoni RL: Vascular entry use and outcomes: a world perspective from the dialysis outcomes and observe patterns examine. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2008;23:3219-3226.
- Tordoir J, Canaud B, Haage P, Konner Ok, Basci A, Fouque D, Kooman J, Martin-Malo A, Pedrini L, Pizzarelli F, et al: EBPG on vascular entry. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2007;22(suppl 2):ii88-ii117.
- Van Tricht I, De Wachter D, Tordoir J, Verdonck P: Hemodynamics and issues encountered with arteriovenous fistulas and grafts as vascular entry for hemodialysis: a evaluate. Ann Biomed Eng 2005;9:1142-1157.
- Luxton G: The CARI pointers. Timing of referral of persistent kidney illness sufferers to nephrology providers (grownup). Nephrology (Carlton) 2010;15(suppl 1):S2-S11.
- Ok/DOQI Workgroup Medical observe pointers for vascular entry. Am J Kidney Dis 2006;48(suppl 1) :S176-S247.
- Besarab A, Brouwer D: Enhancing arteriovenous fistula building: fistula first initiative. Hemodial Int 2004;8:199-206.
- Saxena AK, Panhotra BR, Al-Mulhim AS: Vascular entry associated infections in hemodialysis sufferers. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 2005;16:46-51.
- Stolic R: An infection of arteriovenous graft for hemodialysis. Praxis Medica 2007;35:113-115.
- Schild AF, Perez E, Gillaspie E, Seaver C, Livingstone J, Thibonnier A: Arteriovenous fistulae vs arteriovenous grafts: a retrospective evaluate of 1 700 consecutive vascular entry instances. J Vasc Entry 2008;9:231-235.
- Saeed F, Kousar N, Sinnakirouchenan R, Ramalingam VS, Johnson PB, Holley JL: Blood loss by AV fistula: a case report and literature evaluate. Int J Nephrol. 2011;2011: 350870.
- Wiese P, Nonnast-Daniel B: Color Doppler ultrasound in dialysis entry. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2004;19:1956-1963.
- Morris ST, McMurray JJ, Rodger RS, Jardine AG: Impaired endothelium-dependent vasodilatation in uraemia. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2000;15:1194-1200.
- Kooman JP, Wijnen JA, Draaijer P, van Bortel LM, Gladziwa U, Peltenburg HG, Struyker-Boudier HA, van Hooff JP, Leunissen KM: Compliance and reactivity of the peripheral venous system in persistent intermittent hemodialysis. Kidney Int 1992;41:1041-1048.
- Wali MA, Eid RA, Al-Homrany MA: Easy muscle adjustments within the cephalic vein of renal failure sufferers earlier than use as an AVF. J Easy Muscle Res 2002;38:75-85.
- Turmel-Rodrigues L, Pengloan J, Blanchier D, Abaza M, Birmelé B, Haillot O, Blanchard D: Inadequate dialysis shunts: improved long-term patency charges with shut hemodynamic monitoring, repeated PTA and stent placement. Radiology 1993;187:273-278.
- Kanterman RY, Vesely TM, Pilgram TF, Man BW, Windus DW, Picus D: Dialysis entry grafts: anatomic location of venous stenoses and outcomes of angioplasty. Radiology 1995;195:135-139.
- Trerotola SO, Stavropoulos SW, Shlansky-Goldberg R, Tuite CM, Kobrin S, Rudnick MR: Hemodialysis-related venous stenosis: remedy with ultra-high stress angioplasty balloons. Radiology 2004;231:259-262.
- Ozmen N, Cebeci BS, Kardesoglu E, Atasoyu EM, Unver S, Celik T, Aparci M, Dincturk M: Relationship between P-wave dispersion and efficient hemodialysis in persistent hemodialysis sufferers. Med Princ Pract 2007;16:147-150.
- Basile C, Lomonte C, Vernaglione L, Casucci F, Antonelli M, Losurdo N: The connection between the circulate of arteriovenous fistula and cardiac output in haemodialysis sufferers. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2008;23:282-287.
- London GM: Left ventricular alterations and end-stage renal illness. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2002;17:29-36.
- Ayus JC, Mizani MR, Achinger SG, Thadhani R, Go AS, Lee SH: Results of brief each day versus standard hemodialysis on left ventricular hypertrophy and inflammatory markers: a potential, managed examine. J Am Soc Nephrol 2005;16:2778-2788.
- Román-García P, Rodríguez-García M, Cabezas-Rodríguez I, López-Ongil S, Díaz-López B, Cannata-Andía JB: Vascular calcification in sufferers with persistent kidney illness: sorts, scientific influence and pathogenesis. Med Princ Pract 2011;20:203-212.
- Hiremath S, Doucette SP, Richardson R, Chan Ok, Burns Ok, Zimmerman D: Left ventricular development after 1 yr of haemodialysis doesn’t correlate with arteriovenous entry circulate: a potential cohort examine. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2010;25:2656-2661.
- Gallardo RM, Morong FV, Pino GG, Arias IC, Gallego RH, Magariños FG: Congestive coronary heart failure in sufferers with superior persistent kidney illness: affiliation with pre-emptive vascular entry placement. Nefrologia 2012;32:206-212.
- Foley RN, Curtis BM, Randell EW, Parfrey PS: Left ventricular hypertrophy in new hemodialysis sufferers with out symptomatic cardiac illness. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2010;5:805-813.
- Iwashima Y, Horio T, Takami Y, Inenaga T, Nishikimi T, Takishita S, Kawano Y: Results of the creation of arteriovenous fistula for hemodialysis on cardiac operate and natriuretic peptide ranges in CRF. Am J Kidney Dis 2002;40:974-982.
- Scheltinga MR, van Hoek F, Bruijninckx CM: Time of onset in haemodialysis access-induced distal ischaemia (HAIDI) is said to the entry kind. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2009;24:3198-3204.
- Lazarides MK, Staramos DN, Kopadis G, Maltezos C, Tzilalis VD, Georgiadis GS: Onset of arterial ‘steal’ following proximal angioaccess: instant and delayed sorts. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2003;18:2387-2390.
- Schanzer A, Nguyen LL, Owens CD, Schanzer H: Use of digital stress measurements for the analysis of AV access-induced hand ischemia. Vasc Med 2006;11:227-231.
- Leon C, Asif A: Arteriovenous entry and hand ache: the distal hypoperfusion ischemic syndrome. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2007;2:175-183.
- Bachleda P, Utikal P, Kojecky Z, Drac P, Köcher M, Cerna M, Zadrazil J: Autogenous arteriovenous elbow fistula for haemodialysis and higher extremity ischemia. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub 2007;151:129-132.
- Namdari S, Park MJ, Weiss AP, Carney WI: Persistent hand ischemia handled with radial artery balloon angioplasty: case report. J Hand Surg Am 2008;33:551-554.
- Tordoir JH, Dammers R, van der Sande FM: Higher extremity ischemia and hemodialysis vascular entry. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2004;27:1-5.
- Mickley V: Steal syndrome – methods to protect vascular entry and extremity. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2008;23:19-24.
- Regalado S, Navuluri R, Vikingstad E: Distal revascularization and interval ligation: a primer for the vascular and interventional radiologist. Semin Intervent Radiol 2009;26:125-129.
- Rogers NM, Lawton PD: Ischaemic monomelic neuropathy in a non-diabetic affected person following creation of an higher limb arteriovenous fistula. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2006;22:933-935.
- Andary MT, Mahal BS: Ischemic monomelic neuropathy, http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/315915-overview (up to date Jan 19, 2010).
- Stolic R, Krstic N, Belic B, Stolic D, Zivic Z: Fibrinolytic parameters for haemodialysis in sufferers with arteriovenous fistulae dysfunction. Serbian J Exp Clin Res 2009;10:49-52.
- Stolic R, Trajkovic G, Peric V, Jovanovic A, Markovic S, Sovtic S, Subaric-Gorgieva G: The affect of atherosclerosis and plasma D-dimer focus in sufferers with a functioning arteriovenous fistula for upkeep hemodialysis. Int Urol Nephrol 2008;40:503-508.
- Stolic R: Performance Synthetic Arteriovenous Fistula for Hemodialysis and Adequacy of Hemodialysis; thesis, Kosovska Mitrovica, 2006.
- Dember LM, Beck GJ, Allon M, Delmez JA, Dixon BS, Greenberg A, Himmelfarb J, Vazquez MA, Gassman JJ, Greene T, et al for the Dialysis Entry Consortium Examine Group: Impact of clopidogrel on early failure of arteriovenous fistulas for hemodialysis. A randomized managed trial. JAMA 2008;299:2164-2171.
- Stolic R, Mitrovic S, Stolic D, Mitic N: Early pathohistological adjustments in dysfunction of arteriovenous fistula for hemodialysis (in Serbian). Vojnosanit Pregl 2010;67:65-68.
- Bonatti J, Oberhuber A, Schachner T, Zou Y, Hammerer-Lercher A, Mittermair R, Laufer G: Neointimal hyperplasia in coronary vein grafts: pathophysiology and prevention of a major scientific downside. Coronary heart Surg Discussion board 2004;7:72-77.
- Agarwal A, Segal MS: Intimal exuberance: vein in jeopardy. Am J Pathol 2003;162:1759-1761.
- Cummins PM, von Offenberg SN, Killeen MT, Birney YA, Redmond EM, Cahill PA: Cyclic strain-mediated matrix metalloproteinase regulation throughout the vascular endothelium: a drive to be reckoned with. Am J Physiol Coronary heart Circ Physiol 2007;292:28-42.
- Widlansky M, Gokce N, Keaney J, Vita J: The scientific implications of endothelial operate. J Am Coll Cardiol 2003;42:1149-1160.
- Zou Y, Dietrich H, Hu Y, Mettler B, Wick G, Yu Q: Mouse mannequin of venous bypass graft arteriosclerosis. Am J Pathol 1998;153:1301-1310.
- Kokubo T, Kchida H, Choi ET: Integrin αvβ3 as a goal within the prevention of neointimal hypeplasia. J Vasc Surg 2007;45:33-38.
- Nath KA , Kanakiriya SK, Grande JP, Croatt AJ, Katusic ZS: Elevated venous proinflamatory gene expression and intimal hyperplasia in an aorto-caval fistula mannequin within the rat. Am J Pathol 2003;162:2079-2090.
- Chamberlain J, Evans D, King A, Dewberry R, Dower S, Crossman D, Francis S: Interleukin-1β and signaling of interleukin-1 in vascular wall and circulating cells modulates the extent of neointima formation in mice. Am J Pathol 2006;168:1396-1403.
- McGregor E, Gosling M, Beattie DK, Ribbons DMP, Davies AH, Powell JT: Circumferential stretching of saphenous vein easy muscle enhances vasoconstrictor responses by Rho kinase-dependent pathways. Cardiovasc Res 2002;53:219-226.
- Hofstra L, Tordoir JH, Kitslaar PJ, Hoeks AP, Daemen MJ: Enhanced mobile proliferation in intact stenotic lesions derived from lumen arteriovenous fistulae and peripheral bypass grafts. Circulation 1996;94:1283-1290.
- Roy-Chaudhury P: Endothelial progenitor cells, neointimal hyperplasia, and hemodialysis vascular entry dysfunction. Circulation 2005;112:3-5.
- Huang Y, Salu Ok, Liu X, Li S, Wang L, Verbeken E, Bosmans J, De Scheerder I: Methotrexate loaded SAE coated coronary stents scale back neointimal hyperplasia in a porcine coronary mannequin. Coronary heart 2004;90:195-199.
- Roy-Chaudhury P, Melhem M, Husted T, Kelly BS: Options for hemodialysis vascular entry dysfunction: considering out of the field!! J Vasc Entry 2005;6:3-8.
- Roy-Chaudhury P, Sukhatme VP, Cheung AK: Hemodialysis vascular entry dysfunction: a mobile and molecular viewpoint. J Am Soc Nephrol 2006;17:1112-1127.
- Lee T, Roy-Chaudhury P: Advances and new frontiers within the pathophysiology of venous neointimal hyperplasia and dialysis entry stenosis. Adv Persistent Kidney Dis 2009;16:329-338.
- Lee T: Hemodialysis vascular entry dysfunction; in Carpi A, Donaldio C, Tramonti G (eds): Progress in Hemodialysis – From Emergent Biotechnology to Medical Follow. Rijeka, InTech, 2011, pp 365-388.
- Schild AF: Sustaining vascular entry: the administration of hemodialysis arteriovenous grafts. J Vasc Entry 2010;11:92-99.
- Byung Ha Lee, Nam HY, Kwon T, Kim SJ, Kwon GY, Jeon HJ, Lim HJ, Lee WK, Park J, Ko YJ, Kim DJ: Paclitaxel-coated expanded polytetrafluoroethylene haemodialysis grafts inhibit neointimal hyperplasia in porcine mannequin of graft stenosis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2006;21:2432-2438.
- Clark TW, Cohen RA, Kwak A, Markmann JF, Stavropoulos SW, Patel AA, Soulen MC, Mondschein JI, Kobrin S, Shlansky-Goldberg RD, Trerotola SO: Salvage of nonmaturing native fistulas by utilizing angioplasty. Radiology 2007;242:286-292.
- Beathard GA, Arnold P, Jackson J, Litchfield T: Doctor Operators Discussion board of RMS Lifeline. Aggressive remedy of early fistula failure. Kidney Int 2003;64:1487-1494.
- Shin SW, Do YS, Choo SW, Lieu WC, Choo IW: Salvage of immature arteriovenous fistulas with percutaneous transluminal angioplasty. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 2005;28:434-438.
- Turmel-Rodrigues L, Mouton A, Birmelé B, Billaux L, Ammar N, Grézard O, Hauss S, Pengloan J: Salvage of immature forearm fistulas for haemodialysis by interventional radiology. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2001;16:2365-2371.
- Nassar GM, Nguyen B, Rhee E, Achkar Ok: Endovascular remedy of the ‘failing to mature’ arteriovenous fistula. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2006;1:275-280.
- Faiyaz R, Abreo Ok, Zaman F, Pervez A, Zibari G, Work J: Salvage of poorly developed arteriovenous fistulae with percutaneous ligation of accent veins. Am J Kidney Dis 2002;39:824-827.
- Turmel-Rodrigues L, Boutin JM, Camiade C, Brillet G, Fodil-Chérif M, Mouton A: Percutaneous dilation of the radial artery in nonmaturing autogenous radial-cephalic fistulas for hemodialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2009;24:3782-3788.
- Rotmans JI, Pattynama PM, Verhagen HJ, Hino I, Velema E, Pasterkamp G, Stroes ES: Sirolimus-eluting stents to abolish intimal hyperplasia and enhance circulate in porcine arteriovenous grafts: a 4-week follow-up examine. Circulation 2005;111:153715-153742.
- Absood A, Furutani A, Kawamura T, Graham LM: A comparability of oxidized LDL-induced collagen secretion by graft and aortic SMCs: function of PDGF. Am J Physiol Coronary heart Circ Physiol 2004;287:1200-1206.
- Lin CC, Chang CF, Lai MY, Chen TW, Lee PC, Yang WC: Far-Infrared remedy: a novel remedy to enhance entry blood circulate and unassisted patency of arteriovenous fistula in hemodialysis sufferers. J Am Soc Nephrol 2007;18:985-992.
- Akita GY, Date T, Treleaven C, Vincent KA, Woodcock D, Cheng SH, Gregory RJ, Jiang C: Adenovirus-mediated expression of β-adrenergic receptor kinase C-terminus reduces intimal hyperplasia and luminal stenosis of arteriovenous polytetrafluoroethylene grafts in pigs. Circulation 2005;111:1679-1684.
Prof. Radojica Stolic
College of Medication
Anri Dinan bb
RS-38220 Kosovska Mitrovica (Serbia)
E-Mail [email protected]
Article / Publication Particulars
First-Web page Preview
Acquired: April 10, 2012
Accepted: September 17, 2012
Revealed on-line: November 02, 2012
Situation launch date: March 2013
Variety of Print Pages: 9
Variety of Figures: 0
Variety of Tables: 2
ISSN: 1011-7571 (Print)
eISSN: 1423-0151 (On-line)
For extra info: https://www.karger.com/MPP
Open Entry License / Drug Dosage / Disclaimer
Open Entry License: That is an Open Entry article licensed beneath the phrases of the Artistic Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported license (CC BY-NC) (www.karger.com/OA-license), relevant to the web model of the article solely. Distribution permitted for non-commercial functions solely.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the writer have exerted each effort to make sure that drug choice and dosage set forth on this textual content are in accord with present suggestions and observe on the time of publication. Nonetheless, in view of ongoing analysis, adjustments in authorities laws, and the fixed circulate of knowledge referring to drug remedy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to verify the package deal insert for every drug for any adjustments in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. That is notably necessary when the really useful agent is a brand new and/or sometimes employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and knowledge contained on this publication are solely these of the person authors and contributors and never of the publishers and the editor(s). The looks of ads or/and product references within the publication is just not a guaranty, endorsement, or approval of the services or products marketed or of their effectiveness, high quality or security. The writer and the editor(s) disclaim accountability for any harm to individuals or property ensuing from any concepts, strategies, directions or merchandise referred to within the content material or ads.